lundi 7 juillet 2014

Novak Djokovic: ‘It’s the best grand slam final I have ever played’

• Wimbledon champion thrilled at overcoming ‘mental challenge’
• Djokovic admits his poor run in finals was on his mind


A jubilant Novak Djokovic said his mental strength was the key to winning Wimbledon for a second time, describing his five-set victory over the seven-times champion Roger Federer as the “best grand slam final I have played in my career”. The Serb, who let slip a two-sets-to-one and 5-2 lead as Federer forced a deciding set, held his nerve in the final set to clinch a 6-7, 6-4, 7-6, 5-7, 6-4 victory, giving him a seventh grand slam title and denying Federer what would have been a record eighth win at the All England Club.
Djokovic, who become world No 1 when the rankings are updated on Monday, said he had been through the mill, mentally, as Federer hit back in the fourth set, winning five straight games to clinch it and take the match into a deciding set. “That’s why this victory meant so much to me,” Djokovic told the BBC. “First of all, because it was against a great rival on his court and also considering the fact that I had lost three out of [his past] four grand slam finals.”
Having failed to serve out for the title at 5-3, Djokovic had match point on the Federer serve at 4-5 but the Swiss held firm and then broke again to extend the match before Djokovic recovered his poise to edge Federer in the fifth thanks to one break, in the 10th and final game.
“I would be lying if I said it was not in my mind,” he said, of his poor run, having lost five of his past six grand slam finals. “Of course it started playing with my confidence and I had some doubts. Of course people told me things, trying to help, but I managed to overcome this and I was the one to find a way. Today was a huge test, a mental challenge. We pushed each other to the limit and I could not drop concentration throughout the whole match to win it. That’s why it was extra special.”
Djokovic remained calm throughout, keeping his focus and concentration even when Federer threatened to become the oldest winner in the Open era, at 32. The Serb, with his coach Boris Becker watching on, snatched victory and now sits alongside such asJohn McEnroe, Mats Wilander and John Newcombe on seven grand slams. Playing in the same era as Federer, who has 17, and Rafael Nadal, with 14, it is an incredible achievement.

The 27-year-old said winning for a second time was even more special than the first. “This is a tournament I always dreamed of winning, so it never gets boring winning Wimbledon that’s for sure,” he said. “Winning in 2011 was the highlight of my career but this win over Roger is probably the best grand slam final I have ever played in my life.
“I overcame a lot of challenges, in my life and tennis career in the last two years and that’s why I had tears of joy. That’s why it was very emotional for me to rewind the memories of what we have been through in the last three years and what we’ve been through as a team.
“There are some private things I went through, that I won’t talk about now, but it wasn’t easy. Everyone has issues so you have to understand how to deal with them, grow as a person, strengthen your character and manage to win grand slams. You can’t separate yourself a as person and professional tennis player. It’s the same person who walks on the court, so if your mind is not clear you won’t be able to compete on a high level.”
Having missed the chance to close out the match in four sets – and having missed set points in the first – Djokovic showed enormous mental fortitude to gather himself at the start of the decider, something he was also proud of.
“After I lost the fourth set, I knew the only way to win in the fifth was to try to find that inner strength and not get carried away by emotions, even though I had plenty of opportunities to fade away,” he said.
“It was an incredible match to be part of and very proud of what I achieved. We pushed each other to the limit, had a lot of great points from the baseline. When I was serving for the match, the only way he could come back was by being aggressive and that’s what he did, came to the net, served very precisely.

“On the last match point I wasn’t really thinking of the importance of the point because I had so many opportunities to win the match beforehand; match point, being a break up twice, so I told myself to focus one point at a time. It’s not easy when the result can go either way. The only way to win it is to stay mentally strong because that’s what he does the best.”
Djokovic also paid tribute to the impact the three-times Wimbledon champion Becker has had on his game, getting him over the line in a grand slam once more. “It’s a team victory in the end,” he said. “I know I am by myself on the court but I appreciate what they are doing for me. They show their support day in day out.
“I’m sorry Marian [Vajda, his long-term coach] wasn’t able to see this match live but of course we’re in touch every single day and he’s been working very close with Boris. I’m very happy to win a grand slam with Boris because many people doubted him.”

Source : http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jul/06/novak-djokovic-best-final-wimbledon-2014


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire